Difference between revisions of "Church Teachers College. Dept. of Music"

 
(3 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
In 1909, Brigham Young University renamed and refocused the mission of  its College.  The Church Teachers College absorbed all of the Colleges departments but centered their energies into thoroughly preparing collegiate students to become high school educators. The Department of Education was responsible for all music courses at the time of the change, having absorbed the Department of Music in 1906.  In 1912, the Department of Music was organized as a separate department. When the Church Teachers College split in 1920, the Department of Music retained its name and function under the newly organized School of Arts and Sciences.
+
In 1909, Brigham Young University renamed and refocused the mission of  its College.  The Church Teachers College absorbed all of the Colleges departments but centered their energies into thoroughly preparing collegiate students to become high school educators. The Department of Education was responsible for all music courses at the time of the change, having absorbed the Department of Music in 1906.  In 1912, the Department of Music was organized as a separate department. When the Church Teachers College split in 1920, the Department of Music retained its name and function under the newly organized School of Arts and Sciences. Department chairs included Anthony C. Lund (1912-1916) and Clair W. Reid (1917-1920).
  
 
==Variant names==
 
==Variant names==
Line 19: Line 19:
 
==Assets and Administrative Structure==
 
==Assets and Administrative Structure==
  
The Department of Music was part of the Church Teachers College, the higher-education branch of Brigham Young University. Anthony C. Lund served as the department chairman from 1912 to 1916 and Clair w. Reid served from 1917 to 1920 .
+
The Department of Music was part of the Church Teachers College, the higher-education branch of Brigham Young University. The department was administered by a department chair.
 
   
 
   
 
==Associated Units==
 
==Associated Units==
Line 25: Line 25:
 
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Church Teachers College]] ([[date::1912]]-[[date::1920]])
 
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Church Teachers College]] ([[date::1912]]-[[date::1920]])
  
Earlier unit: [[earlier unit::Brigham Young University. College. Dept. of Music]] ([[date::1906]])
+
Earlier unit: [[earlier unit::Brigham Young University. Dept. of Music (1905-1906)]] ([[date::1906]])
  
Later unit: [[later unit::Brigham Young University. School of Arts and Sciences. Dept. of Music]] ([[date::1920]])
+
Earlier unit: [[earlier unit::Brigham Young University. School of Music (1903-1909)]] ([[date::1909]])
 +
 
 +
Later unit: [[later unit::Brigham Young University. Dept. of Music]] ([[date::1920]])
  
 
==Sources==
 
==Sources==

Latest revision as of 14:28, 20 July 2010

In 1909, Brigham Young University renamed and refocused the mission of its College. The Church Teachers College absorbed all of the Colleges departments but centered their energies into thoroughly preparing collegiate students to become high school educators. The Department of Education was responsible for all music courses at the time of the change, having absorbed the Department of Music in 1906. In 1912, the Department of Music was organized as a separate department. When the Church Teachers College split in 1920, the Department of Music retained its name and function under the newly organized School of Arts and Sciences. Department chairs included Anthony C. Lund (1912-1916) and Clair W. Reid (1917-1920).

Variant names

Church Teachers College. Music Dept.

Description

Established: 1912

Abolished: 1920

Location: Provo, Utah (1912-1920)

Functions

The Department of Music was responsible for the teaching of courses in music, including composition, directing, and opera.

Assets and Administrative Structure

The Department of Music was part of the Church Teachers College, the higher-education branch of Brigham Young University. The department was administered by a department chair.

Associated Units

Superior unit: Church Teachers College (1912-1920)

Earlier unit: Brigham Young University. Dept. of Music (1905-1906) (1906)

Earlier unit: Brigham Young University. School of Music (1903-1909) (1909)

Later unit: Brigham Young University. Dept. of Music (1920)

Sources

Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1912-1913: p. 27 (part of the Church Teachers College) p. 66-67 (Department of Music, courses listed)

Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1905-1906: p. 50 (Department of Music)

Brigham Young University, 1975: v. 4, p. 504 (department chairman: Alfred Osmond, 1906-1923)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2009-00050

Creator: UPB