Difference between revisions of "J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Library. Manuscript Division"

Line 13: Line 13:
Established: [[established in::date::1961]]
Established: [[established in::date::1961]]
Abolished: [[abolished in::date::1974]]
Abolished: [[abolished in::date::1973]]
Location: [[location of::Provo, Utah]] ([[date::1961]]-[[date::1974]])
Location: [[location of::Provo, Utah]] ([[date::1961]]-[[date::1973]])

Revision as of 14:50, 10 May 2012

"The Manuscript Section [of the Brigham Young University Library] was begun in 1926 and acquire[d] its holdings by donation of copy or by copying original diaries, etc." An active program for collecting non-University-related archives and manuscripts was established about 1960. The J. Reuben Clark Library was completed in 1961. The Manuscript Division of the library was known under the name of the J. Reuben Clark Library.

In 1973 the Clark Library was renamed the Harold B. Lee Library, and the Manuscript Division was known as the Harold B. Lee Library Manuscripts Department (Dept.)

Variant names

non-University-related archives and manuscripts

The Manuscript Section


Established: 1961

Abolished: 1973

Location: Provo, Utah (1961-1973)


"Conditional deposits [were] not accepted [in 1938]. All material relating to the Church of the Latter Day Saints and members of that denomination or residents of Utah or the Rocky Mountain West [were] collected and preserved."

"Containing biographies; history of the University; news clippings, particularly extracts from newspapers [that were] no longer available. The material deal[t] with Utah, Idaho, Arizona, Colorado, California, Wyoming, Missouri, Illinois, Ohio, New York, and Iowa. An important collection i[n] "Biographies of Brigham Young University Leaders," 1858 (1898-1926) 1937. The collection [was] built about the papers of presidents of the university; among them [were] those of Karl G. Maeser, 1876-90; Benjamin Cluff, 1891-1903; George H. Brimhall, 1904-21; Franklin S. Harris, 1922-. Most of th[ese] collection[s] [were] made up of original documents, some of [them were] typed from originals in possession of persons who loaned originals. The section concerned with L.D.S. periodicals and rare L.D.S. pamphlets and documents was in part gathered and preserved by George H. Brimhall and given to the library by him."

"There [were, in 1938,] approximately 17,000 volumes and 48 cubic feet of material. Collections [were] completely arranged: alphabetically by author if unbound, by Dewey decimal system if bound. Items dealing with local subjects [were] entered under author as a biography or in regular history number. Eleven thousand catalogue cards (3 x 5) in the general catalogue represent[ed] about 50% of the holdings [in 1938]. These cards [were] made only for diaries and show[ed] author, locality, source, subject. Indexes [were] compiled to cover most of the important Church Journals, newspapers, clippings, etc. besides the catalogue cards. The biographies [were] arranged by type: number of faculty meetings, newspaper clippings, scrapbooks, photographs [were] kept in files; diaries, account books, biographies [were] arranged under the name of the person; approximately 1000 pieces [were] in 8 file drawers ()12 x 16 x 24). There [was] no guide to the material and help from the librarian [was] needed in searching material."

In 1966-1967 the Manuscript Department saw "a virtual completion of a backlog of individual manuscript items that originated from Special Collections."

Separate and apart from the University records, was the Manuscript Division. This division held manuscripts of: Utah pioneers, Utah congressmen, and private individuals, diaries, journals, correspondence, scrapbooks, and manuscripts not formally printed or published containing the above primary materials. Records of businesses that had gone out of business, their minutes of meetings and their financial records. Old bank records from banks that had gone out of business, their ledgers, minutes of their meetings and other records. Also congressional papers of Utah congressmen.

Assets and Administrative Structure

In 1938 the Manuscript Section of Brigham Young University's Library was under the administration of the librarian, Anna Ollorton. "The [Heber J. Grant] Library [was] a Three-story, Fireproof building constructed in 1926 of brick and cement. Manuscripts [were] on the third floor. Unbound material [were] contained in wooden file cases...The collection was "accessible to users but not for circulation. There [was] no photostat equipment, buy photographs [were] furnished upon request at prevailing commercial rates."

Associated Units

Superior unit: J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Library (1961-1973)

Later unit: Harold B. Lee Library. Manuscripts Dept. (1973)

Associated Archival Materials

Insert references to all associated materials here.


Archives and Manuscripts Policies and Procedures Manual, ca. 1980: p. Introduction, (program organized for non-University-related manuscripts and archives in about 1960)

Guide to Depositories of Manuscript Collections in the United States, 1938: pg. 109-110, (year started, location, hours, librarian, layout of material and scope, contents)

Hollis Scott Oral History Interview, Nov. 12, 1968: p. 1-11, (Manuscript Division purposes)

J. Reuben Clark, Jr. Library, Brigham Young University, Annual Report, 1966-1967: pg. 19-20, (virtual completion of backlog of individual manuscript items originating from Special Collections)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2012-00013

Creator: UPB