Difference between revisions of "Harold B. Lee Library. University Archives"

(Associated Units)
Line 22: Line 22:
 
Earlier unit: [[earlier unit::J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Library. University Archives Division]] ([[date::1973]])
 
Earlier unit: [[earlier unit::J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Library. University Archives Division]] ([[date::1973]])
  
Later unit: [[later unit::Harold B. Lee Library. Archives and Manuscripts Dept.]] ([[date::1974]])
+
Later unit: [[later unit::Harold B. Lee Library. Dept. of Archives and Manuscripts]] ([[date::1974]])
  
 
Associated with: [[associated with::Brigham Young University. University Archives and Records Management]] ([[date::a. 1973]])
 
Associated with: [[associated with::Brigham Young University. University Archives and Records Management]] ([[date::a. 1973]])

Revision as of 13:53, 11 May 2012

In 1973 the J. Reuben Clark Jr. Library was renamed the Harold B. Lee Library. The University Archives were then identified with the Library name change. University Archives did not exist long under this name. In 1974 University Archives and the Manuscripts Department were combined to create Archives and Manuscripts. Director of Libraries: Donald K. Nelson (1973-1974).

Description

Established: 1973

Abolished: 1974

Location: Provo, Utah (1973-1974)

Functions

The University Archives preserved "records and documenting the history of the university and its people as well as their impact on the LDS Church and society." This collection included "letters; memoranda; minutes; report;, personal journals; surveys; financial and legal documents; speeches; audio and video recordings; motion pictures; artists' sketches; photographs; research, field, lecture and class notes; syllabi and examinations; drafts of writings and musical compositions; scientific data; maps; architectural sketches, drawings, blueprints, and specifications; theses, dissertations, and faculty and university publications; and machine-readable recordings."

Assets and Administrative Structure

The Archives Reading Room was located in room 5030 of the Harold B. Lee Library. University Archives was housed in room 5072 in the Harold B. Lee Library, and held more than "5000 cubic feet of permanent records and faculty papers, accessed through a computer catalog."

Associated Units

Superior unit: Harold B. Lee Library (1973-1974)

Earlier unit: J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Library. University Archives Division (1973)

Later unit: Harold B. Lee Library. Dept. of Archives and Manuscripts (1974)

Associated with: Brigham Young University. University Archives and Records Management (a. 1973)

Associated Archival Materials

Harold B. Lee Library annual reports (UA 1015)

Harold B. Lee Library Director of Collections Development records (UA 5572 Box 31)

University Archives records (UA 1068)

Sources

Annual Report, Sept. 1973-Aug. 1974: pg. 3, (Director of Libraries)

The Brigham Young University Archives, undated, (the title suggests it was created between 1973 and 1974), (pamphlet): (contents of Archives; room locations of reading room, archives and records management; 5000 cubic feet of permanent records; computer catalog)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2012-00015

Creator: UPB