Harold B. Lee Library. Conservation Unit

In 1987 the Conservation Laboratory split from the Preservation Department in order to be more closely connected to Special Collections, which was in the Collection Development Department at the time. Book Repair was transferred to Conservation a short time later, but was moved back to the Preservation Department before 1990. The Department Chair of Conservation was Robert Espinosa (1987-1993).

Variant names

Conservation Laboratory

Conservation Lab

Description

Established: 1987

Abolished: 1993

Location: Provo, Utah (1987-1993)

Functions

The Conservation Laboratory continued to conserve, restore, and preserve the rare books, manuscripts, and other materials from Special Collections. The Conservation Unit maintained a close working relationship with the Preservation Department, even while they were separated administratively.

Assets and Administrative Structure

The Conservation Unit was run by the head Conservator, who in turn reported to the Assistant University Librarian for Collection Development.

The Conservation Laboratory was located on the 5th floor of the Harold B. Lee Library.

Associated Units

Superior unit: Harold B. Lee Library. Collection Development (1987-1993)

Earlier unit: Harold B. Lee Library. Preservation Dept. (1987)

Later unit: Harold B. Lee Library. Preservation Dept. (1993)

Associated Archival Materials

Harold B. Lee Library Annual Reports (UA 1015)

Sources

HBLL Annual Reports 1984-1988, pg. 6, (Conservation Lab and Book Repair are transferred to Collections Development)

HBLL Annual Reports 1988-1990, pg. 14, (Book Repair is located in Preservation Department again)

The Book and Paper Group ANNUAL vol. 11, (Book Repair transferred back to Preservation, and relationship of Conservation Lab with Preservation) http://cool.conservation-us.org/coolaic/sg/bpg/annual/v11/bp11-07.html

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2012-00030

Creator: UPB