Church Teachers College. Dept. of Physics

In 1909, Brigham Young University renamed and refocused the mission of its College. The Church Teachers College absorbed all of the Colleges departments but centered their energies into thoroughly preparing collegiate students to become high school educators. In 1920, when the College was split into the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Education, the Department of Physics retained its name and function under the administration of the School of Arts and Sciences.

Description

Established: 1909

Abolished: 1920

Location: Provo, Utah (1909-1920)

Functions

The Department of Physics was responsible for the teaching of courses in physics.

Assets and Administrative Structure

The Department of Physics was part of the Church Teachers College, the higher-education branch of Brigham Young University. Chester Snow served as department chairman from 1909 to 1911, Harvey Fletcher served from 1911 to 1916, and Carl F. Eyring served from 1916 to 1929.

Associated Units

Superior unit: Church Teachers College (1909-1920)

Earlier unit: Brigham Young University. College. Dept. of Physics (1909)

Later unit: Brigham Young University. School of Arts and Sciences. Dept. of Physics (1920)

Sources

Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1909-1910: p. 15 (part of the College) p. 39 (Department of Physics, courses listed)

Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1907-1908: p. 42 (Department of Physics)

Brigham Young University, 1975: v. 4, p. 505 (department chairman: Chester Snow, 1917-1911; Harvey Fletcher 1911-1916, Carl F. Eyring, 1916-1929)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2009-00034

Creator: UPB