Difference between revisions of "Church Teachers College. Dept. of Physics"

(Created page with 'In 1909, Brigham Young University renamed and refocused the mission of its College. The Church Teachers College absorbed all of the Colleges departments but centered their ener...')
 
m
 
(10 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
In 1909, Brigham Young University renamed and refocused the mission of its College. The Church Teachers College absorbed all of the Colleges departments but centered their energies into thoroughly preparing collegiate students to become high school educators. In 1920, when the College was split into the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Education, the Department of Physics retained its name and function under the administration of the School of Arts and Sciences.
+
In 1909, Brigham Young University renamed and refocused the mission of its College. The Church Teachers College absorbed all of the College's departments but centered their energies into thoroughly preparing collegiate students to become high school educators. In 1919 the Department of Physics was merged with Mathematics to form a new Department of Mathematics and Physics. Chester Snow served as department chairman from 1909 to 1911, Harvey Fletcher served from 1911 to 1916, and Carl F. Eyring served from 1916 to 1929.
 +
 
 +
==Variant names==
 +
 
 +
Church Teachers College. Physics Dept.
  
 
==Description==
 
==Description==
Line 11: Line 15:
 
==Functions==
 
==Functions==
  
The Department of English was responsible for the teaching of courses in English Grammar and Literature.   
+
The Department of Physics was responsible for the teaching of courses in physics.   
  
 
==Assets and Administrative Structure==
 
==Assets and Administrative Structure==
  
The Department of English was part of the Church Teachers College, the higher-education branch of Brigham Young University. Alfred Osmond served as Department Chairman from 1906-1923.
+
The Department of Physics was part of the Church Teachers College, the higher-education branch of Brigham Young University.
 
   
 
   
 
==Associated Units==
 
==Associated Units==
Line 21: Line 25:
 
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Church Teachers College]] ([[date::1909]]-[[date::1920]])
 
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Church Teachers College]] ([[date::1909]]-[[date::1920]])
  
Earlier unit: [[earlier unit::Brigham Young University. College. Dept. of English]] ([[date::1909]])
+
Earlier unit: [[earlier unit::Brigham Young University. Dept. of Physics (1907-1909)]] ([[date::1909]])
  
Later unit: [[later unit::Brigham Young University. School of Arts and Sciences. Dept. of English]] ([[date::1920]])
+
Later unit: [[later unit::Church Teachers College. Dept. of Mathematics and Physics]] ([[date::1919]])
  
 
==Sources==
 
==Sources==
  
Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1909-1910: p. 15 (part of the College) p. 30 (Department of English, courses listed)  
+
Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1909-1910: p. 15 (Church Teachers College established), p. 18 (part of the Church Teachers College) p. 39 (Department of Physics, courses listed)  
 
+
Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1904-1905: p. 41 (Department of English; courses listed)
+
  
Brigham Young University, 1975: v. 4, p. 498 (department chairman: Alfred Osmond, 1906-1923)
+
Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1907-1908: p. 42 (Department of Physics)
  
'''Still need references for later associations.''' [[User:vkb2|Kim Bryant]] 12:03, 4 June 2009 (MDT)
+
Brigham Young University, 1975: v. 4, p. 505 (department chairman: Chester Snow, 1917-1911; Harvey Fletcher 1911-1916, Carl F. Eyring, 1916-1929)
  
 
==Maintenance Information==
 
==Maintenance Information==
  
Record ID: EAC-2009-000
+
Record ID: EAC-2009-00034
  
 
Creator: UPB
 
Creator: UPB

Latest revision as of 14:58, 17 March 2011

In 1909, Brigham Young University renamed and refocused the mission of its College. The Church Teachers College absorbed all of the College's departments but centered their energies into thoroughly preparing collegiate students to become high school educators. In 1919 the Department of Physics was merged with Mathematics to form a new Department of Mathematics and Physics. Chester Snow served as department chairman from 1909 to 1911, Harvey Fletcher served from 1911 to 1916, and Carl F. Eyring served from 1916 to 1929.

Variant names

Church Teachers College. Physics Dept.

Description

Established: 1909

Abolished: 1920

Location: Provo, Utah (1909-1920)

Functions

The Department of Physics was responsible for the teaching of courses in physics.

Assets and Administrative Structure

The Department of Physics was part of the Church Teachers College, the higher-education branch of Brigham Young University.

Associated Units

Superior unit: Church Teachers College (1909-1920)

Earlier unit: Brigham Young University. Dept. of Physics (1907-1909) (1909)

Later unit: Church Teachers College. Dept. of Mathematics and Physics (1919)

Sources

Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1909-1910: p. 15 (Church Teachers College established), p. 18 (part of the Church Teachers College) p. 39 (Department of Physics, courses listed)

Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1907-1908: p. 42 (Department of Physics)

Brigham Young University, 1975: v. 4, p. 505 (department chairman: Chester Snow, 1917-1911; Harvey Fletcher 1911-1916, Carl F. Eyring, 1916-1929)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2009-00034

Creator: UPB