Church Teachers College. Dept. of Geological Science

In 1909, Brigham Young University renamed and refocused the mission of its College. The Church Teachers College absorbed all of the Colleges departments but centered their energies into thoroughly preparing collegiate students to become high school educators. The Department of Geological Science retained its name after this change for until 1913, when it was renamed the Department of Geology.

Variant names

Church Teachers College. Geological Science Dept.

Description

Established: 1909

Abolished: 1913

Location: Provo, Utah (1909-1913)

Functions

The Department of Geological Science was responsible for the courses in Geology and Astronomy.

Assets and Administrative Structure

The Department of Geological Science was part of the Church Teachers College, the higher-education branch of Brigham Young University. Edwin S. Hinckley served as the Department Chairman.

Associated Units

Superior unit: Church Teachers College (1909-1913)

Earlier unit: Brigham Young University. College. Dept. of Geological Science (1909)

Later unit: Church Teachers College. Dept. of Geology (1913)

Sources

Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1909-1910: p. 15 (part of the Church Teachers College) p. 36-37 (Department of Geological Science; courses listed, Geology and Astronomy)

Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1908-1909: p. 40 (Department of Geological Science)

Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1913-1914: p. 63 (Department of Geology)

Brigham Young University, 1975: v. 4, p. 499 (department chairman: Edwin S. Hinckley, 1908-1914)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2009-00032

Creator: UPB