Difference between revisions of "Church Teachers College. Dept. of Agriculture"

(Created page with 'In 1909, Brigham Young University renamed and refocused the mission of its College. The Church Teachers College absorbed the College's departments but centered their energies i...')
 
(Associated Units)
 
(6 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
In 1909, Brigham Young University renamed and refocused the mission of  its College.  The Church Teachers College absorbed the College's departments but centered their energies into thoroughly preparing collegiate students to become high school educators. The Department of Agriculture was not carried over after the name change but was reorganized in 1910. In 1920, when the College was split into the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Education, the Department of English retained its name and function under the administration of the School of Arts and Sciences.
+
In 1909, Brigham Young University renamed and refocused the mission of  its College.  The Church Teachers College absorbed the College's departments but centered their energies into thoroughly preparing collegiate students to become high school educators. The Department of Agriculture was not carried over after the name change but was reorganized in 1910. In 1920, when the College was split into the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Education, the Department of Agriculture retained its name and function under the administration of the School of Arts and Sciences.
  
 
==Variant names==
 
==Variant names==
Line 15: Line 15:
 
==Functions==
 
==Functions==
  
The Department of English was responsible for the teaching of courses in Agronomy, Horticulture, and Animal Husbandry.
+
The Department of Agriculture was responsible for the teaching of courses in Agronomy, Horticulture, and Animal Husbandry.
  
 
==Assets and Administrative Structure==
 
==Assets and Administrative Structure==
Line 23: Line 23:
 
==Associated Units==
 
==Associated Units==
  
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Church Teachers College]] ([[date::1909]]-[[date::1920]])
+
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Church Teachers College]] ([[date::1910]]-[[date::1920]])
  
Earlier unit: [[earlier unit::Brigham Young University. College. Dept. of Agriculture]] ([[date::1909]])
+
Earlier unit: [[earlier unit::Brigham Young University. Dept. of Agriculture (1906-1909)]] ([[date::1909]])
  
Later unit: [[later unit::Brigham Young University. School of Arts and Sciences.  Dept. of Agriculture]] ([[date::1920]])
+
Later unit: [[later unit::Brigham Young University. Dept. of Agriculture (1920-1922)]] ([[date::1920]])
  
 
==Sources==
 
==Sources==
  
Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1909-1910: p. 15 (part of the College) p. 30 (Department of English, courses listed)  
+
Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1910-1911: p. 18 (part of the Church Teachers College) p. 41 (Department of Agriculture)
  
Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1904-1905: p. 41 (Department of English; courses listed)
+
Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1912-1913: p. 56-57 (courses listed)  
  
Brigham Young University, 1975: v. 4, p. 498 (department chairman: Alfred Osmond, 1906-1923)
+
Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1906-1907: p. 49 (Department of Agriculture)
 +
 
 +
Brigham Young University, 1975: v. 4, p. 492 (department chairman: William H. Homer, 1907-1911; Amos N. Merrill, 1911-1920)
  
 
==Maintenance Information==
 
==Maintenance Information==

Latest revision as of 16:31, 16 September 2009

In 1909, Brigham Young University renamed and refocused the mission of its College. The Church Teachers College absorbed the College's departments but centered their energies into thoroughly preparing collegiate students to become high school educators. The Department of Agriculture was not carried over after the name change but was reorganized in 1910. In 1920, when the College was split into the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Education, the Department of Agriculture retained its name and function under the administration of the School of Arts and Sciences.

Variant names

Church Teachers College. Agriculture Dept.

Description

Established: 1910

Abolished: 1920

Location: Provo, Utah (1910-1920)

Functions

The Department of Agriculture was responsible for the teaching of courses in Agronomy, Horticulture, and Animal Husbandry.

Assets and Administrative Structure

The Department of Agriculture was part of the Church Teachers College, the higher-education branch of Brigham Young University. William H. Homer served as Department Chairman for the 1910/1911 school year. Amos N Merrill served from 1911 to 1920.

Associated Units

Superior unit: Church Teachers College (1910-1920)

Earlier unit: Brigham Young University. Dept. of Agriculture (1906-1909) (1909)

Later unit: Brigham Young University. Dept. of Agriculture (1920-1922) (1920)

Sources

Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1910-1911: p. 18 (part of the Church Teachers College) p. 41 (Department of Agriculture)

Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1912-1913: p. 56-57 (courses listed)

Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1906-1907: p. 49 (Department of Agriculture)

Brigham Young University, 1975: v. 4, p. 492 (department chairman: William H. Homer, 1907-1911; Amos N. Merrill, 1911-1920)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2009-00037

Creator: UPB