Difference between revisions of "Brigham Young University. Library"

(Variant names)
 
(8 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Insert administrative history here.'''
+
The university library was established in the Heber J. Grant building in 1925. The collections outgrew the Heber J. Grant building, necessitating the construction of the J. Reuben Clark Library, which was completed in 1961. Head librarians and directors of libraries were Anna K. Ollorton (1925-1948), Asael C. Lambert (1948-1951), Naomi Rich Earl (1951-1954), and S. Lyman Tyler (1954-1961).
  
 
==Variant names==
 
==Variant names==
Line 21: Line 21:
 
==Functions==
 
==Functions==
  
'''Insert description of functions here.'''
+
The library served as repository for the university collection of printed materials. Students could visit during opening hours to study and research.
  
 
==Assets and Administrative Structure==
 
==Assets and Administrative Structure==
  
'''Insert description of administrative structure here.'''
+
As the collections accumulated, the initial librarian was replaced by a director of libraries with subject and location librarians serving underneath him or her. The director of libraries reported to the university president.
  
 
==Associated Units==
 
==Associated Units==
Line 33: Line 33:
 
Later unit: [[later unit::J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Library]] ([[1961]])
 
Later unit: [[later unit::J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Library]] ([[1961]])
  
==Associated Archival Materials==
+
Subordinate unit: [[superior to::Brigham Young University. Library Science]] ([[date::1946]]-[[date::1949]])
  
'''Insert references to all associated materials here.'''
+
Subordinate unit: [[superior to::Brigham Young University. Library. Archives]] ([[date::1956]]-[[date::1961]])
  
 
==Sources==
 
==Sources==
  
'''Insert sources for all information given in the record here.'''
+
Brigham Young University Annual Catalogue 1925-1926: p. 16 (library became ready for occupancy at the beginning of the 1925-26 school year); p. 113 (library course on efficient study and research given by librarians)
 +
 
 +
Brigham Young University Annual Catalog 1948-49: p. 8 (Asael C. Lambert, director of libraries)
 +
 
 +
Brigham Young University Library Centennial History, 1976: p. 173 (Librarians and dates of service)
  
 
==Maintenance Information==
 
==Maintenance Information==
  
Record ID:  
+
Record ID: EAC-2010-00047
  
 
LCCN: no2009068476
 
LCCN: no2009068476
  
 
Creator: UPB
 
Creator: UPB

Latest revision as of 13:26, 10 September 2012

The university library was established in the Heber J. Grant building in 1925. The collections outgrew the Heber J. Grant building, necessitating the construction of the J. Reuben Clark Library, which was completed in 1961. Head librarians and directors of libraries were Anna K. Ollorton (1925-1948), Asael C. Lambert (1948-1951), Naomi Rich Earl (1951-1954), and S. Lyman Tyler (1954-1961).

Variant names

B.Y.U. Library

BYU Library

Heber J. Grant Library

Grant Library

Description

Established: 1925

Abolished: 1961

Location: Provo, Utah (1925-1961)

Functions

The library served as repository for the university collection of printed materials. Students could visit during opening hours to study and research.

Assets and Administrative Structure

As the collections accumulated, the initial librarian was replaced by a director of libraries with subject and location librarians serving underneath him or her. The director of libraries reported to the university president.

Associated Units

Superior unit: Brigham Young University (1925-1961)

Later unit: J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Library (1961)

Subordinate unit: Brigham Young University. Library Science (1946-1949)

Subordinate unit: Brigham Young University. Library. Archives (1956-1961)

Sources

Brigham Young University Annual Catalogue 1925-1926: p. 16 (library became ready for occupancy at the beginning of the 1925-26 school year); p. 113 (library course on efficient study and research given by librarians)

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog 1948-49: p. 8 (Asael C. Lambert, director of libraries)

Brigham Young University Library Centennial History, 1976: p. 173 (Librarians and dates of service)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2010-00047

LCCN: no2009068476

Creator: UPB