Difference between revisions of "Brigham Young University. Food Services"

(Associated Units)
(Associated Units)
Line 25: Line 25:
 
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University. Auxiliary Services]] ([[date::1954]]-[[date::1972]])
 
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University. Auxiliary Services]] ([[date::1954]]-[[date::1972]])
  
Associated unit: [[associated with::Brigham Young University. General Services]] ([[date::1972]]-[[date:: 1990]])
+
Associated unit: [[associated with::Brigham Young University. Auxiliary Services]] ([[date::1975]]-[[date:: 1990]])
  
 
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University. Student Auxiliary Services]] ([[date::1990]]-[[date::1993]])
 
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University. Student Auxiliary Services]] ([[date::1990]]-[[date::1993]])

Revision as of 16:09, 16 September 2011

During the Harris Administration, the Home Economic Department and the University Treasurer supervised the kitchens in the Allen and Amanda Knight Hall and the cafeterias located at Wymount and the Joseph Smith Building. In 1953 and under the direction of Wells Cloward, the technical structure and organization of Food Services was established within the Special Services department of the University. Beginning in 1954, Food Services was organized under Auxiliary Services. In 1972, it was organized under the General Services department. In 1993, Food Services changed names to Dining Services. Directors of Food Services included Wells Cloward (1953-1985) and Samuel Brooks (1985-1993).

Description

Established: 1953

Abolished: 1993

Location: Provo, Utah (1953-1993)

Functions

The University Food Services provided food to students and faculty members at a reasonable cost. These services were initially provided in the men's and women's residence halls and in a cafeteria and snack bar located in the Joseph Smith Building. Over time, the Food Service facilities expanded to include: cafeteria service, snack bars, vending, dairy products laboratory, concession stands, bakery, and catering.

Assets and Administrative Structure

Food Services functioned under the supervision of a Director and formed part of the University Special Services (1953-1955), Student Personnel Services (1955-1958), Auxiliary Services (1958-1972), and General Services (1972-1995).

Associated Units

Superior unit: Brigham Young University. Dept. of Home Economics (1930-1955) (1953)

Superior unit: Brigham Young University. Special Services (1953-1954)

Superior unit: Brigham Young University. Auxiliary Services (1954-1972)

Associated unit: Brigham Young University. Auxiliary Services (1975-1990)

Superior unit: Brigham Young University. Student Auxiliary Services (1990-1993)

Later unit: Brigham Young University. Dining Services (1993- )

Associated Archival Materials

Brigham Young University General Services Records (1957-1984) Box 24 Folder 5 (UA 1365)

1955 Annual Report Department of Auxiliary Services Brigham Young University (UA 1326 Box 18)

Sources

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1953-1954: p.76 (Special Services) (The University Food Services provided food to students and faculty members at a reasonable cost. These services were initially provided in the men’s and women’s residence halls and in a cafeteria and snack bar located in the Joseph Smith Building.)

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog 1954-1955 p. 15 (Food Services listed under Auxiliary Services)

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1955-1956: p.101 (Student Personnel Services)

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1958-1959: p. 103 (Auxiliary Services)

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1966-1968: p.62 (Over time, the Food Service facilities expanded to include: cafeteria service, snack bars, vending, dairy products laboratory, concession stands, bakery, and catering.)

Brigham Young University General Services Records (1957-1984) Box 24 Folder 5 (UA 1365) (During the Harris Administration, the Home Economic Department and the University Treasurer supervised the kitchens in the Allen and Amanda Knight Hall and the cafeterias located at Wymount and the Joseph Smith Building. In 1953 and under the direction of Wells Cloward, the technical structure and organization of Food Services was established within the Special Services department of the University.)

Brigham Young University Telephone Directory 1993-1994 p. 39 (Food Services changes to Dining Services) (Director: Samuel Brooks)

Faculty Biographical Files, 1900-2000 (UA 909) (director: Wells Cloward) (director: Samuel Brooks)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2010-000156

Creator: MRM/ARC