Difference between revisions of "Brigham Young University. Food Services"

(Associated Units)
 
(24 intermediate revisions by 5 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
During the Harris Administration, the Home Economic Department and the University Treasurer supervised the kitchens in the Allen and Amanda Knight Hall and the cafeterias located at Wymount and the Joseph Smith Building. In 1953 and under the direction of Wells Cloward, the technical structure and organization of Food Services was established within the Special Services department of the University. From 1955-1958, Food Services was overseen by the Department of Student Personnel Services.  It formed part of the Auxiliary Services of the University from 1958 until it changed to the General University services department in 1972. In 1995, Food Services changed names to Dining Services. Directors of Food Services included Wells Cloward (1953-1985) and Samuel Brooks (1985-1995).
+
During the Harris Administration, the Home Economic Department and the University Treasurer supervised the kitchens in the Allen and Amanda Knight Hall and the cafeterias located at Wymount and the Joseph Smith Building. In 1953 and under the direction of Wells Cloward, the technical structure and organization of Food Services was established. Beginning in 1954, Food Services was organized under Auxiliary Services. In 1993, Food Services changed names to Dining Services. Directors of Food Services included Wells Cloward (1953-1985) and Samuel Brooks (1985-1993).
 
+
==Variant names==
+
  
 
==Description==
 
==Description==
Line 7: Line 5:
 
Established: [[established in::date:: 1953]]
 
Established: [[established in::date:: 1953]]
  
Abolished: [[abolished in::date::1995]]
+
Abolished: [[abolished in::date::1993]]
  
Location: [[location of::Provo, Utah]] ([[date::1953]]-[[date::1995]])
+
Location: [[location of::Provo, Utah]] ([[date::1953]]-[[date::1993]])
  
 
==Functions==
 
==Functions==
  
The University Food Services provided food to students and faculty members at a reasonable cost. These services were initially provided in the men’s and women’s residence halls and in a cafeteria and snack bar located in the Joseph Smith Building. Over time, the Food Service facilities expanded to include: cafeteria service, snack bars, vending, dairy products laboratory, concession stands, bakery, and catering.
+
The University Food Services provided food to students and faculty members at a reasonable cost. These services were initially provided in the men's and women's residence halls and in a cafeteria and snack bar located in the Joseph Smith Building. Over time, the Food Service facilities expanded to include: cafeteria service, snack bars, vending, dairy products laboratory, concession stands, bakery, and catering.
  
 
==Assets and Administrative Structure==
 
==Assets and Administrative Structure==
  
Food Services functioned under the supervision of a Director and formed part of the University Special Services (1953-1955), Student Personnel Services (1955-1958), Auxiliary Services (1958-1972), and General University Services (1972-1995).
+
Food Services functioned under the supervision of a Director and formed part of Auxiliary Services (1954-1969), Vice-President of Business (1969-1973), Assistant Vice-President for Business Affairs (1973-1975), Auxiliary Services (1975-1979), and the Support Services Vice President (1979).
  
 
==Associated Units==
 
==Associated Units==
  
 +
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University. Special Services]] ([[date::1953]]-[[date::1954]])
  
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University. Dept. of Home Economics (1930-1955)]] ([[date::? ]]-[[date::1953]])
+
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University. Auxiliary Services]] ([[date::1954]]-[[date:: 1969]])
  
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University. Special Services]] ([[date::1953 ]]-[[date::1955]])
+
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University]] ([[date::1969]]-[[date::1975]])
  
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University. Student Personnel Services]] ([[date:: 1955]]-[[date::1958]])
+
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University. Auxiliary Services]] ([[date::1975]]-[[date::1979]])
  
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University. Auxiliary Services]] ([[date:: 1958]]-[[date::1972]])
+
Later unit: [[later unit::Brigham Young University. Dining Services]] ([[date::1993]])
  
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University. General University Services]] ([[date:: 1972 ]]-[[date:: 1995]])
+
Associated unit: [[associated with::Brigham Young University. Agricultural Operations]] ([[date::1954]]-[[date::1979]])
 
+
Later unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University. Dining Services]] ([[date:: 1995 ]]-[[date::-]])
+
  
 
==Associated Archival Materials==
 
==Associated Archival Materials==
 
Faculty Biographical Files, 1900-2000 (UA 909)
 
  
 
Brigham Young University General Services Records (1957-1984) Box 24 Folder 5 (UA 1365)
 
Brigham Young University General Services Records (1957-1984) Box 24 Folder 5 (UA 1365)
 +
 +
1955 Annual Report Department of Auxiliary Services Brigham Young University (UA 1326 Box 18)
  
 
==Sources==
 
==Sources==
  
Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1953-1954: p.76 (Special Services) (The University Food Services provided food to students and faculty members at a reasonable cost.  These services were initially provided in the men’s and women’s residence halls and in a cafeteria and snack bar located in the Joseph Smith Building.)
+
Butterworth, Brigham Young University, 1975: p. 209 (Wells and Myrle Cloward; local restaurant owners in Provo, began managing Food Services in August 1953)
+
 
Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1955-1956: p.101 (Student Personnel Services)
+
Brigham Young University annual catalog, 1953: p.76 (Special Services; food services provided food to students and faculty members at a reasonable cost; services were initially provided in the men’s and women’s residence halls and in a cafeteria and snack bar located in the Joseph Smith Building)
 +
 
 +
Brigham Young University annual catalog, 1954: p. 15 (Food Services listed under Auxiliary Services)
 +
 
 +
Catalog of courses, 1958: p. 12 (Food Service; Wells Cloward, manager; part of Auxiliary Services) p. 103 (Food Service; provides meal service at five cafeterias, four of which were in residence halls; operated cafeteria in Smith Building, three snack bars, and vending machines)
 +
 
 +
Catalog of courses, 1964: p. 424 (Food Services; Wells Cloward, director; part of Auxiliary and Communications Services)
 +
 
 +
Catalog of courses, 1966: p. 466 (Food Services; Wells P. Cloward, director; part of Auxiliary Services)
 +
 
 +
Catalog of courses, 1968: p. 65-66 (Food Services; operated cafeterias, snack bars, vending services, dairy concession stands, bakery, and catering) p. 519 (Food Services; Wells P. Cloward, director; part of Auxiliary Services)
 +
 
 +
Catalog of courses, 1970: p. 63 (Food Services; reported to the Office of Assistant Vice-President for Business) p. 529 (Wells Cloward, director)
 +
 
 +
General catalog, 1973: p. 535 (Food Services; Wells Cloward, director; under Assistant Vice-President for Business Affairs)
 +
 
 +
General catalog, 1975: p. 249 (Food Services; Wells Cloward, director; under director of Wilkinson Center, Lyle Curtis)
  
Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1958-1959: p. 103 (Auxiliary Services)
+
General catalog, 1976: p. 281 (Food Services; Wells Cloward, director; under director of Auxiliary Services, Lyle Curtis)
  
Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1966-1968: p.62 (Over time, the Food Service facilities expanded to include:  cafeteria service, snack bars, vending, dairy products laboratory, concession stands, bakery, and catering.)
+
General catalog, 1979: p. 251 (Food Services; Wells P. Cloward, director; under Support Services Vice-President)
  
Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1972-1973: p. 67 (General University Services)
+
General catalog, 1981: p. 288 (Food Services; Wells P. Cloward, director)
  
Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1995-1996: p. 419 (Food Services changes to Dining Services)
+
General catalog, 1985: p. 290 (Food Services; Samuel Brooks, director)
  
Brigham Young University General Services Records (1957-1984) Box 24 Folder 5 (UA 1365) (During the Harris Administration, the Home Economic Department and the University Treasurer supervised the kitchens in the Allen and Amanda Knight Hall and the cafeterias located at Wymount and the Joseph Smith Building.  In 1953 and under the direction of Wells Cloward, the technical structure and organization of Food Services was established within the Special Services department of the University.)
+
Brigham Young University General Services records, 1957-1984 (During the Harris Administration, the Home Economic Department and the University Treasurer supervised the kitchens in the Allen and Amanda Knight Hall and the cafeterias located at Wymount and the Joseph Smith Building; in 1953 and under the direction of Wells Cloward, the technical structure and organization of Food Services was established within the Special Services department of the University)
  
Faculty Biographical Files, 1900-2000 (director: Wells Cloward) (director: Samuel Brooks)
+
Brigham Young University telephone directory 1993-1994: p. 39 (Food Services changes to Dining Services; director, Samuel Brooks)
  
 
==Maintenance Information==
 
==Maintenance Information==
Line 62: Line 75:
 
Record ID: EAC-2010-000156
 
Record ID: EAC-2010-000156
  
Creator: MRM
+
Creator: MRM/ARC

Latest revision as of 13:44, 30 June 2020

During the Harris Administration, the Home Economic Department and the University Treasurer supervised the kitchens in the Allen and Amanda Knight Hall and the cafeterias located at Wymount and the Joseph Smith Building. In 1953 and under the direction of Wells Cloward, the technical structure and organization of Food Services was established. Beginning in 1954, Food Services was organized under Auxiliary Services. In 1993, Food Services changed names to Dining Services. Directors of Food Services included Wells Cloward (1953-1985) and Samuel Brooks (1985-1993).

Description

Established: 1953

Abolished: 1993

Location: Provo, Utah (1953-1993)

Functions

The University Food Services provided food to students and faculty members at a reasonable cost. These services were initially provided in the men's and women's residence halls and in a cafeteria and snack bar located in the Joseph Smith Building. Over time, the Food Service facilities expanded to include: cafeteria service, snack bars, vending, dairy products laboratory, concession stands, bakery, and catering.

Assets and Administrative Structure

Food Services functioned under the supervision of a Director and formed part of Auxiliary Services (1954-1969), Vice-President of Business (1969-1973), Assistant Vice-President for Business Affairs (1973-1975), Auxiliary Services (1975-1979), and the Support Services Vice President (1979).

Associated Units

Superior unit: Brigham Young University. Special Services (1953-1954)

Superior unit: Brigham Young University. Auxiliary Services (1954-1969)

Superior unit: Brigham Young University (1969-1975)

Superior unit: Brigham Young University. Auxiliary Services (1975-1979)

Later unit: Brigham Young University. Dining Services (1993)

Associated unit: Brigham Young University. Agricultural Operations (1954-1979)

Associated Archival Materials

Brigham Young University General Services Records (1957-1984) Box 24 Folder 5 (UA 1365)

1955 Annual Report Department of Auxiliary Services Brigham Young University (UA 1326 Box 18)

Sources

Butterworth, Brigham Young University, 1975: p. 209 (Wells and Myrle Cloward; local restaurant owners in Provo, began managing Food Services in August 1953)

Brigham Young University annual catalog, 1953: p.76 (Special Services; food services provided food to students and faculty members at a reasonable cost; services were initially provided in the men’s and women’s residence halls and in a cafeteria and snack bar located in the Joseph Smith Building)

Brigham Young University annual catalog, 1954: p. 15 (Food Services listed under Auxiliary Services)

Catalog of courses, 1958: p. 12 (Food Service; Wells Cloward, manager; part of Auxiliary Services) p. 103 (Food Service; provides meal service at five cafeterias, four of which were in residence halls; operated cafeteria in Smith Building, three snack bars, and vending machines)

Catalog of courses, 1964: p. 424 (Food Services; Wells Cloward, director; part of Auxiliary and Communications Services)

Catalog of courses, 1966: p. 466 (Food Services; Wells P. Cloward, director; part of Auxiliary Services)

Catalog of courses, 1968: p. 65-66 (Food Services; operated cafeterias, snack bars, vending services, dairy concession stands, bakery, and catering) p. 519 (Food Services; Wells P. Cloward, director; part of Auxiliary Services)

Catalog of courses, 1970: p. 63 (Food Services; reported to the Office of Assistant Vice-President for Business) p. 529 (Wells Cloward, director)

General catalog, 1973: p. 535 (Food Services; Wells Cloward, director; under Assistant Vice-President for Business Affairs)

General catalog, 1975: p. 249 (Food Services; Wells Cloward, director; under director of Wilkinson Center, Lyle Curtis)

General catalog, 1976: p. 281 (Food Services; Wells Cloward, director; under director of Auxiliary Services, Lyle Curtis)

General catalog, 1979: p. 251 (Food Services; Wells P. Cloward, director; under Support Services Vice-President)

General catalog, 1981: p. 288 (Food Services; Wells P. Cloward, director)

General catalog, 1985: p. 290 (Food Services; Samuel Brooks, director)

Brigham Young University General Services records, 1957-1984 (During the Harris Administration, the Home Economic Department and the University Treasurer supervised the kitchens in the Allen and Amanda Knight Hall and the cafeterias located at Wymount and the Joseph Smith Building; in 1953 and under the direction of Wells Cloward, the technical structure and organization of Food Services was established within the Special Services department of the University)

Brigham Young University telephone directory 1993-1994: p. 39 (Food Services changes to Dining Services; director, Samuel Brooks)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2010-000156

Creator: MRM/ARC