Difference between revisions of "Brigham Young University. Extension Division"

(Sources)
(Associated Units)
Line 24: Line 24:
 
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University]] ([[date::1921]]-[[date::1957]])
 
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University]] ([[date::1921]]-[[date::1957]])
  
Later unit: [[later to::Brigham Young University. Adult Education and Extension Services]] ([[date::1957]])
+
Later unit: [[later unit::Brigham Young University. Adult Education and Extension Services]] ([[date::1957]])
 +
 
 +
Earlier unit: [[earlier unit::Brigham Young University. Extension Dept.]] ([[date::1920]])
  
 
==Associated Archival Materials==
 
==Associated Archival Materials==

Revision as of 08:12, 7 April 2010

The Extension Division was established in 1921 as a way of offering education to those not attending Brigham Young University. In 1957 it was renamed Adult Education and Extension Services and in 1966 became the Division of Continuing Education. Those who served as Directors:Lowry Nelson (1921-1936), Harrison R. Merrill (1936-1939), Carlton Culmsee (1939-1944), Gerrit de Jong (Acting Director; 1944-1946), Thomas L. Broadbent (Acting Director; 1946-1947), Harold G. Clark (1947-1957).

Variant Names

Continuing Education

Description

Established: 1921

Abolished: 1957

Location: Provo, Utah (1921-1957)

Functions

The purpose of the Extension Division is to carry the work of Brigham Young University beyond the immediate campus to the people of the entire church as far as is feasible. At the time of its inception, its program combined publicity, off-campus programs, lectures, and community services with the more formal classroom offerings and credit courses both by correspondence and lecture.

Assets and Administrative Structure

The Extension Division was supervised by a director who reported to the president of the university.

Associated Units

Superior unit: Brigham Young University (1921-1957)

Later unit: Brigham Young University. Adult Education and Extension Services (1957)

Earlier unit: Brigham Young University. Extension Dept. (1920)

Associated Archival Materials

Extension Division Announcement, 1921; BYU Quarterlies (UA 1102 Box 2 Fol 3)

Sources

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog 1921-1922 p. 8; (Lowry Nelson, Director)

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog 1936-1937 p.253; (Harrison R. Merrill, Director)

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog 1939-1940 p.216; (Carlton Culmsee, Director)

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog 1944-1945 p. 274; (Gerrit deJong, Acting Director)

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog 1946-1947 p. 305; (Thomas L. Broadbent, Acting Director)

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog 1946-1948 p. 304; (Harold G. Clark, Director)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2009-00541

Creator: LFW/ARC