Difference between revisions of "Brigham Young University. Extension Division"

(Functions)
Line 1: Line 1:
The Extension Division was established in 1921.  In 1957 it was known as Adult Education and Extension Services and in 1966 became the Division of Continuing Education. Those who served as Acting Directors were: Thomas L. Broadbent (1943-1945, 1946-1947), Gerrit de Jong, Jr. (1945-1946), and Harold Glen Clark served as Director of the Extension from 1947-1957.
+
The Extension Division was established in 1921 as a way of offering education to those not attending Brigham Young University.  In 1957 it was renamed Adult Education and Extension Services and in 1966 became the Division of Continuing Education. Those who served as Directors:Lowry Nelson (1921-1936), Harrison R. Merrill (1936-1939), Carlton Culmsee (1939-1944), Gerrit de Jong (Acting Director; 1944-1946), Thomas L. Broadbent (Acting Director; 1946-1947), Harold G. Clark (1947-1957).
  
==Variant names==
+
==Variant Names==
 
+
Adult Education and Extension Services
+
  
 
Continuing Education
 
Continuing Education
Line 34: Line 32:
 
==Sources==
 
==Sources==
  
Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1943-1944: p. 276 (Thomas L. Broadbent, acting director)
 
 
Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1945-1946: p. ?? (Gerrit de Jong, Jr., acting director)
 
 
Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1946-1947: p. 305 (Thomas L. Broadbent, acting director)
 
  
Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1947-1948: p. 304 (Harold Glen Clark, director)
 
  
 
==Maintenance Information==
 
==Maintenance Information==
Line 46: Line 38:
 
Record ID: EAC-2009-00541
 
Record ID: EAC-2009-00541
  
Creator: LFW
+
Creator: LFW/ARC

Revision as of 07:43, 7 April 2010

The Extension Division was established in 1921 as a way of offering education to those not attending Brigham Young University. In 1957 it was renamed Adult Education and Extension Services and in 1966 became the Division of Continuing Education. Those who served as Directors:Lowry Nelson (1921-1936), Harrison R. Merrill (1936-1939), Carlton Culmsee (1939-1944), Gerrit de Jong (Acting Director; 1944-1946), Thomas L. Broadbent (Acting Director; 1946-1947), Harold G. Clark (1947-1957).

Variant Names

Continuing Education

Description

Established: 1921

Abolished: 1957

Location: Provo, Utah (1921-1957)

Functions

The purpose of the Extension Division is to carry the work of Brigham Young University beyond the immediate campus to the people of the entire church as far as is feasible. At the time of its inception, its program combined publicity, off-campus programs, lectures, and community services with the more formal classroom offerings and credit courses both by correspondence and lecture.

Assets and Administrative Structure

The Extension Division was supervised by a director who reported to the president of the university.

Associated Units

Superior unit: Brigham Young University (1921-1957)

Later unit: Brigham Young University. Adult Education and Extension Services (1957)

Associated Archival Materials

Extension Division Announcement, 1921; BYU Quarterlies (UA 1102 Box 2 Fol 3)

Sources

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2009-00541

Creator: LFW/ARC