Brigham Young University. Dept. of Philosophy (1905-1909)

After Brigham Young Academy in Provo, Utah became an university, academics were separated into three areas, the College, the Normal School and the High School. The Department of Philosophy was organized in 1905 under the College. While the College was renamed the Church Teachers College in 1909, the Department of Philosophy retained its name.

Description

Established: 1905

Abolished: 1909

Location: Provo, Utah (1905-1909)

Functions

The Department of Philosophy was responsible for the courses in Philosophy, Psychology, and Ethics.

Assets and Administrative Structure

The Department of Philosophy was part of the College, the higher-education branch of Brigham Young University. Nels L. Nelson served as Department Chairman from 1906 to 1909.

Associated Units

Superior unit: Brigham Young University. College (1905-1909)

Later unit: Brigham Young University. Church Teachers College. Dept. of Philosophy (1909)

Sources

Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1905-1906: p. 31 (part of the College) p. 50 (Department of Philosophy; courses offered, Philosophy, Psychology, and Ethics)

Brigham Young University, 1975: v. 4, p. 504 (department chairman: Nels L. Nelson, 1906-1909)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2009-00014

Creator: UPB