Difference between revisions of "Brigham Young University. Dept. of Geology and Geography"

(Sources)
Line 39: Line 39:
 
==Sources==
 
==Sources==
  
Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1920-1921: p. 32 (Dept. of Geology and Geography a part of the School of Arts and Sciences) p. 84-87 (courses taught by department).
+
Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1920-1921: p. 32 (Dept. of Geology and Geography a part of the School of Arts and Sciences) p. 84-87 (courses taught by department)
  
Brigham Young University The First One Hundred Years, 1975: v. 4 p. 499 (Fred Buss was Department Chairman).
+
Brigham Young University The First One Hundred Years, 1975: v. 4 p. 499 (Fred Buss was Department Chairman)
 +
 
 +
Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1921-1922: p. 30 (part of College of Arts and Sciences) p. 84-87 (courses taught by the department)
 +
 
 +
Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1953-1954: p. 199-204 (courses taught by the department)
 +
 
 +
Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1954-1955: p. 371 (part of the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences)
 +
 
 +
Brigham Young University The First One Hundred Years, 1975: v. 4 p. 498 (Department Chairs were: Fred Buss, 1921-1925; Murray O. Hayes, 1927-1928; and George H. Hansen, 1929-1954)
  
 
==Maintenance Information==
 
==Maintenance Information==

Revision as of 16:41, 8 September 2009

The Department of Geology and Geography was established and made a department within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920 when the Church Teachers College was split. It later became part of the College of Arts and Sciences in 1921. The department was later transferred to the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences in 1954, and then divided in 1955 into the Department of Geology and Geological Engineering and the Department of Geography. Department chairs of the Department of Geology and Geography included Fred Buss (1920-1925), Murray O. Hayes (1927-1928), and George H. Hansen (1929-1954).

Variant Names

Brigham Young University. School of Arts and Sciences. Dept. of Geology and Geography

Brigham Young University. College of Arts and Sciences. Dept. of Geology and Geography

Brigham Young University. College of Physical and Engineering Sciences. Dept. of Geology and Geography

Description

Established: 1920

Abolished: 1955

Location: Provo, Utah (1920-1955)

Functions

The Dept. of Geology and Geography was responsible for teaching courses in geography and geology. Subjects taught also included mineralogy, physiography, meteorology, lithology, gemology, paleontology, and climatology.

Assets and Administrative Structure

The department was administered by a department chair under the direction of the dean. The department reported through the School of Arts and Sciences (1920-1921), the College of Arts and Sciences (1921-1954), and the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences (1954-1955).

Associated Units

Superior unit: Brigham Young University. School of Arts and Sciences (1920-1921)

Superior unit: Brigham Young University. College of Arts and Sciences (1921-1954)

Superior unit: Brigham Young University. College of Physical and Engineering Sciences (1954-1955)

Earlier unit: Church Teachers College. Dept. of Geology and Geography (1920)

Later unit:: Brigham Young University. Dept. of Geology and Geological Engineering (1955)

Sources

Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1920-1921: p. 32 (Dept. of Geology and Geography a part of the School of Arts and Sciences) p. 84-87 (courses taught by department)

Brigham Young University The First One Hundred Years, 1975: v. 4 p. 499 (Fred Buss was Department Chairman)

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1921-1922: p. 30 (part of College of Arts and Sciences) p. 84-87 (courses taught by the department)

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1953-1954: p. 199-204 (courses taught by the department)

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog, 1954-1955: p. 371 (part of the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences)

Brigham Young University The First One Hundred Years, 1975: v. 4 p. 498 (Department Chairs were: Fred Buss, 1921-1925; Murray O. Hayes, 1927-1928; and George H. Hansen, 1929-1954)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2009-00161

Creator: UPB