Brigham Young University. Dept. of English (1904-1909)

After Brigham Young Academy in Provo, Utah became an university, academics were separated into three areas, the College, the Normal School and the High School. The Department of English was organized in 1904 under the College, as one of the larger departments in the organization. It offered Poetry, Public Speaking, the History of English Literature, Shakespeare, Chaucer, and Rhetoric. When the College was renamed the Church Teachers College in 1909, the Department of English retained its name.

Variant names

Brigham Young University. College. English Dept.

Brigham Young University. College. Dept. of English


Established: 1904

Abolished: 1909

Location: Provo, Utah (1904-1909)


The Department of English was responsible for the teaching of courses in English Grammar and Literature.

Assets and Administrative Structure

The Department of English was part of the College, the higher-education branch of Brigham Young University. Alfred Osmond served as Department Chairman from 1906 to 1923.

Associated Units

Superior unit: Brigham Young University. College (1904-1909)

Later unit: Church Teachers College. Dept. of English (1909)


Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1904-1905: p. 33 (part of the College) p. 41 (Department of English; courses offered, English Grammar and Literature)

Brigham Young University, 1975: v. 4, p. 498 (department chairman, Alfred Osmond from 1906-1923)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2009-00005

Creator: UPB