Difference between revisions of "Brigham Young University. Dept. of Buildings and Grounds"

(Maintenance Information)
m (Associated Units)
 
(8 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Insert administrative history here.'''
+
In 1947, the custodial, construction, repairs, buildings maintenance, and grounds keeping units were officially organized into the Department of Buildings and Grounds was administered by superintendent Leland M. Perry from its establishment until being reorganized into the Physical Plant Department in 1954.
  
 
==Variant names==
 
==Variant names==
Line 11: Line 11:
 
==Description==
 
==Description==
  
Established: [[established in::date::?]]
+
Established: [[established in::date::1947]]
  
 
Abolished: [[abolished in::date::1954]]
 
Abolished: [[abolished in::date::1954]]
  
Location: [[location of::Provo, Utah]] ([[date::?]]-[[date::1954]])
+
Location: [[location of::Provo, Utah]] ([[date::1947]]-[[date::1954]])
  
 
==Functions==
 
==Functions==
  
'''Insert description of functions here.'''
+
The Department of Buildings and Grounds was responsible for the following: Installations, alterations, and maintenance of the campus communications systems, such as telephones, fire alarms, and the distribution of campus mail; custodial work in all campus buildings; landscaping, care and maintenance of all grounds, vacant lots, and other property owned by the University, including parking and campus police; maintenance, operation, alterations, and repair of all plumbing, heating, ventilating, and electrical systems on University property; mechanical shops operated by the University; carpenter shop and mill operated by the University (this did not include academic shops); maintenance, repair, alterations, and up-keep of all University-owned buildings; all new construction on University-owned property; a central warehouse and receiving department for the University; engineering, design and survey or inspection work pertaining to maintenance or new construction; perpetual inventory of all furniture and equipment of the University; custody, maintenance, and repair of all automotive and other mechanical equipment of the University; central key register and control for the entire University; finally, management and operation of Wymount Village.
  
 
==Assets and Administrative Structure==
 
==Assets and Administrative Structure==
  
'''Insert description of administrative structure here.'''
+
The Superintendent of the Department of Buildings and Grounds reported to a vice president of the University. Each department (Communications; Custodial; Grounds; Plumbing, Heating and Electrical; Mechanical Shops; Carpenter Shop and Mill; Building Maintenance; Construction; and Receiving, Warehousing and Shipping)  within Buildings and Grounds was each led by a supervisor who reported to the Superintendent and led a workforce of students.
  
 
==Associated Units==
 
==Associated Units==
  
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University]] ([[date::?]]-[[date::1954]])
+
Superior unit: [[subordinate to::Brigham Young University]] ([[date::1947]]-[[date::1954]])
  
 
Later unit: [[later unit::Brigham Young University. Physical Plant Dept.]] ([[date::1954]])
 
Later unit: [[later unit::Brigham Young University. Physical Plant Dept.]] ([[date::1954]])
 
==Associated Archival Materials==
 
 
'''Insert references to all associated materials here.'''
 
  
 
==Sources==
 
==Sources==
  
Brigham Young University : a pictorial history, 2005: p. 184 (Dept. of Buildings and Grounds; renamed Physical Plant Dept. in 1954)
+
Brigham Young University: a history of the campus and the department of physical plant, 1875-1975: vol. 5, p. 59-64 (officially organized in 1947; Leland Perry superintendent until reorganized into Physical Plant Department in 1954; functions; subordinate units)
  
 
==Maintenance Information==
 
==Maintenance Information==

Latest revision as of 15:22, 8 November 2011

In 1947, the custodial, construction, repairs, buildings maintenance, and grounds keeping units were officially organized into the Department of Buildings and Grounds was administered by superintendent Leland M. Perry from its establishment until being reorganized into the Physical Plant Department in 1954.

Variant names

Brigham Young University. Department of Buildings and Grounds

Brigham Young University. Buildings and Grounds Dept.

Brigham Young University. Buildings and Grounds Department

Description

Established: 1947

Abolished: 1954

Location: Provo, Utah (1947-1954)

Functions

The Department of Buildings and Grounds was responsible for the following: Installations, alterations, and maintenance of the campus communications systems, such as telephones, fire alarms, and the distribution of campus mail; custodial work in all campus buildings; landscaping, care and maintenance of all grounds, vacant lots, and other property owned by the University, including parking and campus police; maintenance, operation, alterations, and repair of all plumbing, heating, ventilating, and electrical systems on University property; mechanical shops operated by the University; carpenter shop and mill operated by the University (this did not include academic shops); maintenance, repair, alterations, and up-keep of all University-owned buildings; all new construction on University-owned property; a central warehouse and receiving department for the University; engineering, design and survey or inspection work pertaining to maintenance or new construction; perpetual inventory of all furniture and equipment of the University; custody, maintenance, and repair of all automotive and other mechanical equipment of the University; central key register and control for the entire University; finally, management and operation of Wymount Village.

Assets and Administrative Structure

The Superintendent of the Department of Buildings and Grounds reported to a vice president of the University. Each department (Communications; Custodial; Grounds; Plumbing, Heating and Electrical; Mechanical Shops; Carpenter Shop and Mill; Building Maintenance; Construction; and Receiving, Warehousing and Shipping) within Buildings and Grounds was each led by a supervisor who reported to the Superintendent and led a workforce of students.

Associated Units

Superior unit: Brigham Young University (1947-1954)

Later unit: Brigham Young University. Physical Plant Dept. (1954)

Sources

Brigham Young University: a history of the campus and the department of physical plant, 1875-1975: vol. 5, p. 59-64 (officially organized in 1947; Leland Perry superintendent until reorganized into Physical Plant Department in 1954; functions; subordinate units)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2010-00160

Creator: UPB