Brigham Young University. Dept. of Agriculture (1906-1909)

After Brigham Young Academy in Provo, Utah became an university, academics were separated into three areas, the College, the Normal School and the High School. The Department of Agriculture was organized in 1906 under the College. Coming to the department faculty in 1905, John A. Widtsoe's expertise in dry farming quickly made him a popular instructor and a valuable asset to the University. When he left the University for a better position at Utah State University, the Department of Agriculture suffered a serious decline. While the College was renamed the Church Teachers College in 1909, the Department of Agriculture retained its name.


Established: 1906

Abolished: 1909

Location: Provo, Utah (1906-1909)


The Department of Agriculture was responsible for the courses in general agriculture.

Assets and Administrative Structure

The Department of Agriculture was part of the College, the higher-education branch of Brigham Young University. John A. Widtsoe served as Department Chairman from 1906 to 1907; William H. Homer followed as Chair and served from 1907 to 1909.

Associated Units

Superior unit: Brigham Young University. College (1906-1909)

Later unit: Brigham Young University. Church Teachers College. Dept. of Engineering (1909)


Brigham Young University Annual School Catalog, 1906-1907: p. 29 (part of the College) p. 49 (Department of Agriculture)

Brigham Young University, 1975: v. 2, p. 461-463 (John A. Widtsoe joined the faculty in 1905 and quickly became a major influence as a professor in Agriculture and Chemistry; department declined when he left to teach at Utah State University) v. 4, p. 492 (department chairmen: John A. Widtsoe, 1906-1907; William H. Homer, 1907-1909)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2009-00012

Creator: UPB