Brigham Young University. Library

The university library was established in the Heber J. Grant building in 1925. The collections outgrew the Heber J. Grant building, necessitating the construction of the J. Reuben Clark Library, which was completed in 1961. Head librarians and directors of libraries were Anna K. Ollorton (1925-1948), Asael C. Lambert (1948-1951), Naomi Rich Earl (1951-1954), and S. Lyman Tyler (1954-1961).

Variant names

B.Y.U. Library

BYU Library

Heber J. Grant Library

Grant Library


Established: 1925

Abolished: 1961

Location: Provo, Utah (1925-1961)


The library served as repository for the university collection of printed materials. Students could visit during opening hours to study and research.

Assets and Administrative Structure

As the collections accumulated, the initial librarian was replaced by a director of libraries with subject and location librarians serving underneath him or her. The director of libraries reported to the university president.

Associated Units

Superior unit: Brigham Young University (1925-1961)

Later unit: J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Library (1961)

Subordinate unit: Brigham Young University. Library Science (1946-1949)

Subordinate unit: Brigham Young University. Library. Archives (1956-1961)


Brigham Young University Annual Catalogue 1925-1926: p. 16 (library became ready for occupancy at the beginning of the 1925-26 school year); p. 113 (library course on efficient study and research given by librarians)

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog 1948-49: p. 8 (Asael C. Lambert, director of libraries)

Brigham Young University Library Centennial History, 1976: p. 173 (Librarians and dates of service)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2010-00047

LCCN: no2009068476

Creator: UPB