Brigham Young University. Dept. of Biblical Languages

The Department of Biblical Languages was a part of the College of Religious Instruction from 1959 to 1964. In 1964 the department was merged with the other departments in the college to form the departments of Undergraduate Studies in Religious Education and Graduate Studies in Religious Education. The chairmen during this time were Sidney B. Sperry (1959-1960) and Ellis Rasmussen (1960-1964).

Description

Established: 1959

Abolished: 1964

Location: Provo, Utah (1959-1964)

Functions

Classes available in the Dept. of Biblical Languages consisted of those such as Elementary Biblical Hebrew, Biblical Aramaic and the Targums, and Elementary Egyptian. An undergraduate major or minor was not offered in this department.

Assets and Administrative Structure

The department functioned under the administration of a chairman under a dean.

Associated Units

Superior unit: Brigham Young University. College of Religious Instruction (1959-1964)

Later unit: Brigham Young University. Dept. of Undergraduate Studies in Religious Instruction (1964)

Later unit: Brigham Young University. Dept. of Graduate Studies in Religious Instruction (1964)

Sources

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog 1959-1960: p. 5, 187 (Sidney B. Sperry, chairman; no undergraduate major or minor; example classes offered: Elementary Biblical Hebrew, Biblical Aramaic and the Targums, and Elementary Egyptian)

Brigham Young University Annual Catalog 1960-1961: p. 5 (Ellis Rasmussen, chairman)

Maintenance Information

Record ID: EAC-2009-00331

Creator: CEM